Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Almost four months and counting

Wow! Four months have gone by rather quickly. We look at our little boy and he is not the same baby that arrived here back in February. We look at our lives and find ourselves pretty settled and enjoying our time here. A still works pretty long hours and plus he's just started a International Relations Masters (just for fun). But at least he's home every night. I started working a couple of Reserve days a week and it's been interesting work. The mission of this base is to support the South Koreans in the event war breaks out with the North. And in light of recent underground nuclear explosions and missile launches, the possibility exists although it has been going on for the last fifty plus years. The South Koreans don't think war will ever happen but I can't see this going on forever. Finding reliable child care has been a challenge. I think our current nanny will be with us for another week. She has two of her own and having a third to watch has proved to be a little challenging for her. We'll see what happens. I miss having a day to myself to grocery shop, get a pedicure, work out or do whatever, but it's been fun hanging out with my little guy.
Since we've been here, both of us (A and I) have lost weight. A's been riding his bike to work almost everyday and once on base, the layout is very conducive to walking. He's also started taking taekwondo a few times a week. As for me, I haven't been working out much but I guess I'm just eating less and chasing a little guy around. While I should be thrilled by this phenomenon, it's been a little annoying for me since my clothes don't fit anymore and it's not that easy just to go out and buy some new ones. I suppose I will deal with it and do some more on-line shopping. We've seen a lot of neat things here and we have more on our list.
There are great hiking trails behind our apt which we hope to take advantage of more this summer. We had a wonderful hike Saturday morning. The base indoor pool has been a source of entertainment. David can say "pool" and he loves to play in the water. There's supposed to be a Mom and Tot swim class this summer which we plan to attend.
I still miss the conveniences of the US but there are certainly worse places to be than in S. Korea. Less than 40 weeks to go ...

No comments:

Post a Comment